Asian Development Policy Review
Publish by: Production and Hosting by Pak Publishing Group on behalf of Asian Economic and Social Society
Online ISSN: 2313-8343
Print ISSN: 2518-2544
Print ISSN: 2518-2544
Total Citation: 0
Maternal Health-Care in India: The Case of Tetanus Toxoid Vaccination
Rana Ejaz Ali Khan, Muhammad Ali Raza
PDF Download Open Access
Prenatal-care is one of the important elements of maternal health-care. In this paper an attempt has been made to examine the socioeconomic determinants of Tetanus Toxoid (TT) vaccination as a component of prenatal-care by the women in the age group of 15-49 years. Micro-data having 25847 observations from Indian Demographic and Health Survey (IDHS) has been used. To estimate the probability of TT vaccination binary logistic regression has been utilized. The explanatory variables categorized into socio-demographic characteristics of the woman, household characteristics, health-related characteristics, community characteristics and regional characteristics have been included in the analysis. The results explained that probability to have TT vaccination increases by woman’ education, woman? age at marriage, husband?s age, husband’s education, husband?s living within household, husband?s presence at prenatal visit and household wealth. The woman?s living in small city, town and country side as well as final say on woman?s health-care by woman and husband collectively, and husband alone decrease the probability of TT vaccination. The study proposed targeted approach to enhance the TT vaccination in Indian women. The marginalized households should be targeted through cash transfer programs. Furthermore, the small cities and country sides should also be focused. The awareness and education of woman along with husband’s participation in maternal health-care cannot be ignored in policy making.
- Andersen, R. and J.F. Newman, 1973. Social and individual determinants of medical care utilization in the united states.Milbank memorial fund quarterly. Health Society, 51: 95-124.
- Bassani, D.G., R. Kumar, S. Awasthi, S.K. Morris and V.K. Paul, 2010. Causes of neonatal and child mortality in india: A nationally representative mortality survey. The Lancet, 376(6755): 1853-1860.
- Beeckman, K., F. Louckx and K. Putman, 2010. Determinants of number of antenatal visits in metropolitan region. BMC Public Health, 10: 527-535.
- Beeckman, K., F. Louckx and K. Putman, 2011. Predisposing, enabling and pregnancy related determinants of late initiation of prenatal care. Maternal Child Health Journal, 15(7): 106-175.
- Birch, S., M. Hass, E. Savage and G.K. Van, 2007. Targeting services to reduce social inequalities in utilization: An analysis of breast cancer screening in new south wales. Australian New Zealand Health Policy, 4: 12.
- Black, R.E., D.H. Huber and G.T. Curlin, 1980. Reduction in neonatal tetanus by mass immunization of non-pregnant women: Duration of protectoin provided by one or two doses of alum-absorbe tetanus toxoid. Bulletin of World Health Organization, 58: 927-930.
- Blecowe, H., J. Lawn, J. Vandelaer, M. Roper and S. Cousens, 2010. Tetanus toxoid immunization to reduce mortality from neonatal tetanus. International Journal of Epidemiology, 39: 102-109.
- Gorossman, M., 1972. On the concept of health capital and demand for health. Journal of Political Economy, 82(2): 223-255.
- Gupta, S.D. and P.M. Keyl, 1998. Effectiveness of prenatal tetanus toxoid immunization against neonatal tetanus in a rural area in india. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 17: 316-332.
- Habibov, N.N., 2011. On the socio economic determinants of antenatal care utilization in azerbaijan: Evidence and policy implications for reforms. Health Economics, Policy and Law, 6: 175-203.
- Hasnain, S. and N.H. Shaikh, 2007. Causes of low tetanus toxoid vaccination coverage in pregnant women in lahore district. Pakistan. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, 13(5): 1142-1152.
- Jordan, K., C. Jinks and P. Craft, 2006. A prospective study of the consulting behavior of older people with knee pain. British Journal of General Practice, 56: 269-276.
- Koeing, M.A., 1992. Mortality reduction from measles and tetanus immunization: A review of evidence. Child health priorities for the 1990s: Report of a seminar. Baltimore, m.D. June 20-22, 1991. The john hopkins school of public health institute for international programs, baltimore, 1992.
- Lahariya, C., C.R. Sudfeld, D. Lahariya and S.S. Tomar, 2010. Causes of child deaths in india 1985-2008: A systematic review of literature. Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 77(11): 1303-1311.
- Madico, G., G. Salazar., J. McDonald., W. Checkley., M. Calderon., M. Verastegui. and R. H. Gilman, 1996. Rates of tetanus protection and transplacented tetanus antibody transfer in pregnant women from different socioeconomic groups in peru. Clinincal and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, 3(6): 753-755.
- Maral, I., Z. Baykan, F. Aksakal, N. , F. Kayikcioglu and M.A. Bumin, 2001. Tetanus immunization in pregnant women: Evaluation of maternal tetanus vaccination status and factors affecting rate of vaccination coverage. Public Health, 115: 359-364.
- Rahman, M., C. Chen, J. Chakraborty, M. Yunus, A.I. Chowdhury, A.M. Sarder, S. Bhatia and G.T. Curlin, 1982. Use of tentanus toxoid for the prevention of neonatal tetanus i. Reduction of neonatal mortality by immunization of non-pregnant and pregnant women in rural bangladesh. Bulletin of World Health Organization, 60: 261-267.
- Redondo-Sendino, A., P. Guallar-Castilon, J.R. Benegas and F. Rodriguez-Artalego, 2006. Gender differences in the utilization of health-care services among the older adult population of spain. BMC Public Health, 6: 115.
- Roosihermiatei, B., M. Nishiyama and K. Nakae, 2000. Factors associated with tt (tetanus toxoid) immunization among pregnant women in saparua, maluku, indonesia. South East Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, 31(1): 91-95.
- Singh, A., S. Pallikachavasth, R. Ogollah and W. Stones, 2012. Maternal tetanus toxoid vaccination and neonatal mortality in rural north india. Plos One, 7: 11.
- Stanfield, J.P. and A. Galazka, 1984. Neonatal tetanus in the world today. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 62: 647-669.
- Stanfield, J.P., D. Gall and P.M. Brecken, 1973. Single dose anti-tetanus immunization. Lancent, 1: 215-219.
- Thind, A., 2005. Determinants of tetanus toxoid immunization in pregnancy in rural bihar. Tropical Doctor, 35(2): 75-77.
- Titlay, C., R. Michal, J. Dibley and C.L. Roberts, 2010. Factors associated with underutilization of antenatal care services in indonesia: Results of indonesia demographic and health survey 2002/2003 and 2007. BMC Public Health, 10: 485-495.
- Whitman, C., L. Belgharbi, F. Casse, C. Torel, V. Mattei and F. Zoffmann, 1992. Progress towards the global elimination of neonatal tetanus. World Health Statistics Quarterly, 45: 248-256.
- WHO, 1986. Prevention of neonatal tetanus through immunization who/epi/gen/86.9. Geneva: World Health Organization (WHO).